This September, It will be five years I have lived in New Brunswick. Since that time I have travelled around the province getting to know it thoroughly. A while back I wrote East Coast Bucket List, and part of it was finding and documenting National Historic sites.
I am happy to say I have been to all except for La Coupe Dry Dock in Aulac (couldn’t find it and Belmont house in Lincoln, which has no numbered address to maintain the privacy of the current owners). The Seal Cove Smoked Herring Stands on Grand Manan eluded me. I have been to the the island twice, this spring hiking when I covered the story for Grand Manan’s Red Trail, but I was unable to go to the historic site. I will have to continue to look for all three.
If Fort Jemseq, has a monument at its location, I have not been able to find it. I have been to the coordinates several times but found no marker or plaque. I don’t have a picture for a Saint Luke’s Anglican Church in Quispamsis, or Chipman Hill, in Saint John but I have been to both. With summer running out. I thought this was an excellent treasure hunt for history enthusiast enjoy.
- Chipman Hill — please see Loyalist house picture.
- Carleton Martello Tower
4. Fort La Tour
5. Fort Howe
Imperial Capital Theatre
6. Loyalist House
7. Bank of New Brunswick
8. Number 2 Mechanic volunteer Company Engine House
9. Ordnance Building
10. Partridge Island Quarantine Station — Not accessible, off-limits to the public.
11. Prince William Streetscape
12. Saint John City Market
13. Saint John Court House
- Arts building, University of New Brunswick
- Christ Church Cathedral Fredericton
- Fort Nashwaak Fredericton North
- Fredericton City Hall
- Old government house
- Saint Anne’s Chapel of Ease
- Saint Paul’s United Church
- William Brydone Jack Observatory
- York County Courthouse
- Wolastoq Old Government House
- Belmont House Lincoln. I have never been able to find it. 😦
- Boss Gibson plaque
- Augustine Mound Metepenagiang
- Oxbow Metepenagiag
- Beaubears Island / ship building Miramichi
- Boishebert Miramichi
- Gibson Family Plot Marysville
- Marysville Cotton Mill, Marysville
- Marysville Historic District National Historic Plaque
- Chandler House, Dorchester
- Free Meeting House, Moncton
- Hammond House, Sackville
- La Coupe Dry Dock, Aulac, (couldn’t find it.)
- Fort Beasejour/Fort Cumberland, Aulac
- Tonge Island, Sackville
- Monument Lefebvre, Memramcook
- Charolotte County Courthouse Saint Andrews
- Greenock Church, Saint Andrews
- Sir William Van Horne Estate, Minister Island
- Minister Island/ Pre Contact site, St. Andrews
- Saint Andrews Block House
- St Georges Post office
- Christ Church Anglican, Maugersville
- Tilley House, Gagetown
- Fort Jemseg, Jemseg. No plaque in place.
- Fort Nerepis Grand Bay Westfield
- Trinity Church and Rectory, Kingston
- Saint Luke’s Anglican Church, Quispamsis, No picture available.
- Connell House, Woodstock
- Hartland Covered Bridge, Hartland
Acadian Coastal Drive
- Denys Fort Habitation, Shippagan
- Fort Gaspareaux, Port Elgin
- Miscou Island Lighthouse, Miscou Island
- Nicole Deny Monument board, Bathurst
- McAdam Railway Station, McAdam
- Meductic Indian Village, Fort Meductic, Meductic
Seal Cove Smoked Herring Stands, Grand Manan. Still have this one yet to get.
For more historical people and grave monuments please read In Honour of Canada’s 150th.
Hope you enjoy this Canadian National historic treasure hunt around New Brunswick.
Cheers and Happy Travels from Maritime Mac